Monday, March 26, 2012


The culture is NEGATIVE, as in no cultures have grown.  Praying for tomorrow to bring the same.  

Tomorrow Charlotte will have her shunt 'tapped' in which the CSF (cerebral spinal fluid) is tested for infection.  3 scenarios can occur:

1. No infection!  This would result in a standard course of antibiotics for 14 days.  On day 10, she would be eligible to have the Gtube/Nissen surgery, doubling up on the last 4 days of antibiotic and recovery from surgery.  

2. Infection in shunt but treatable by antibiotics she's currently on.  14 days.

3. Infection which is NOT treatable by antibiotics alone.  Must surgically remove tubing of shunt and externally drain, clear infection and then surgically place the shunt again.  This option takes 6 weeks to run its antibiotic course.  Then, she is eligible to have Gtube/Nissen surgery.

Results from tapping the shunt should be available after 72 hours but the preliminary results typically guide you in the right direction meaning that we will have a good idea as to what the outcome is.

She will have a test done tomorrow which will take 3D images of the veins in her body to determine which is best to use as a broviac line.  Since hers doesn't draw blood anymore, we need a new one anyway not to mention if it is infected.  Typically if there is an infection, the line would be removed and there would be a wait period before surgically placing the new one.  Although in Charlotte's case, she doesn't have that luxury so the team will weigh the options based on the test results as well as the continued cultures and choose the 'right choice' for Charlotte.  

This test requires that Charlotte be intubated and sedated.  If it is determined that she needs to have the broviac removed and a new one put in, then she will stay intubated (breathing tube in) overnight before surgery on Wednesday (most likely.)  

She had a head and kidney ultrasound as well as an echocardiogram of her heart this morning.  All were negative of infection.  Word.

The urine culture from yesterday is positive today.  We won't know if the broviac line/bloodstream infection tainted the urine or she had a UTI which tainted the bloodstream.  Regardless, she's got a lot going on in her little body and we are SO FORTUNATE for her health today.  Although sick, yes, she is stable and we PRAISE HIM for this blessing.  


  1. So glad to hear things went well today. A reminder that God is in control and He does have a plan. We praise Him for every victory-no matter how big-no matter how small. And of course, prayers continue for all of you!

  2. Bless your sweet, loving and patient hearts. We PRAY our little hearts out for the best possible test results for miss Charlotte, and swift and painless healing. We send you a million hugs friend.

  3. "come unto me, all ye that are heavy laden, and I will give you rest". Matthew 11:28
    O God of all comfort, bring quietness and calm to hearts worried about what the day may bring.
    May you feel God,s presence all around you as we pray.