This is it. There are no more options after this. Please pray for Charlotte.
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
BACK IN SURGERY
It didn't take long for the doctors to realize that Charlotte was in trouble. The blood flow to her lungs is too high and that means that the blood flow to the rest of her body is too low. They monitored for a couple of hours to see if things improved but they did not. Dr. Mendeloff decided that the only option at this point is another surgery to clamp off the Sano shunt and put in a BT shunt. The Sano shunt is 5mm and the BT shunt that will be put in is 3mm so the hope is that it will reduce the flow of blood to the lungs and force more blood to be sent to the body. Dr. Mendeloff said that in the hundreds of Norwood procedures that he has done that he has never had to do this before. The team quickly got her ready for the move back to the OR. We were able to walk with her through the hall and then kissed her goodbye. They took her around 11:15 Central and expect the surgery to last for 2 to 3 hours.
Posted by Patrick and Sarah at 11:34 AM